Friday, March 18, 2011

Everything Must Go!!!

Last weekend Justin and I had a garage sale with his family.  Now you're probably saying to yourself that there is no way a couple that has been married for less than two years already has enough stuff for a garage sale.  Well, you would be wrong!  I wish I would have taken a picture of our garage right after we moved in.  Let's put it this way...one of our builder's contractors asked if we had downsized houses?!?!?!  You've seen the show Hoarders?!  Well, that's pretty much how bad it was! 

Some things were very easy to get rid of...clothes that we never wore, cheap wall decorations that we had bought just to have something up on our walls, mismatched dishes and pots and pans that were accumulated over the years, etc.  But some things were really tough to part with.  And, it is really, really hard to put a price tag on something you own, that has been part of your life.  I was trying to think "What would I personally pay for this item?"  But even that was tough because obviously I bought it the first time and paid full price for it. 

I tried to stay focused on what selling all of our old items meant...#1. We would actually be able to use our garage to park our cars inside!  #2.  Money to go and buy new things for our house!  Parting with things and pricing eventually became a little easier once I had my goals in mind.

Garage sales are so weird to me.  We had some really nice stuff for sale, like a barely used vacuum cleaner, nice drinking glasses, brand new crock pot, etc. that no one bought and hardly even looked at.  And then the things that looked like junk were gone in the first hour!  I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure, or something like that!  And don't even get me started on the people that would haggle with you and try and nickel and dime you on every single item!  Hello!  It's a new wardrobe full of name-brand items for $10...try and go to those stores and buy one thing for $10!

But after the week of preparing for the sale, hours of pricing items and getting everything set up, and dealing with a bunch of crazy folks, it was worth it.  We made some pretty good cash and are going to use our earnings to finally buy blinds for our windows!  It's kind of weird walking around your house and knowing that all the neighbors could peep in the windows and see you!  And, we may even be able to park in our garage soon!  Now you can't put a price on that!!!  I've never had a garage, so I'm pretty excited about it!  It's the little things in life... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment